Gaby Hoffmann On Waxing For Veronica Mars

Gaby Hoffmann on Girls, Dance Parties With Claire Danes, and Waxing for Veronica Mars

 

So, I’m loath to bring up your pubes, because I think I know how you feel about people bringing them up, having read your Crystal Fairy press — like, Why is it even a topic of conversation? But I’m wondering if there was a discussion between you and Lena about showing them, in light of that previous experience?
Nope. It was written into the script. I’m sure Lena said when we were at the read-through, “How do you feel about that?” or something, and I was like, “It’s funny, let’s do it.” I’m sure there was some exchange like that — I don’t remember it. But she wrote it in the script and I had certainly nothing to say about it.

Do you think it’s some sort of statement?
I’m not making a statement. If Lena is, we didn’t talk about it. I would imagine Lena’s relationship to her making statements is so much more complicated than I can even imagine given what the conversation has been for the last couple of years, with her and nudity and all that stuff. I do think this culture could use a little bit of a, you know — I think everybody would be served to relax a little bit about nudity and things related to nudity and get off everybody’s back on that subject, and maybe look at everyone’s relationship to violence, for instance. So, if I am contributing to a sort of opening up of that and a look at maybe reorganizing our puritanical views on that shit, then I’m happy to be making that statement. But I’m not doing anything in my acting work as a political statement.

One of the best things you’ve said about Girls and nudity is how it’s condescending to say it’s “brave” for Lena to be naked.
Yeah, I guess people kept saying to me that my performance in Crystal Fairy was so brave because of the nudity, and people kept referencing Lena when they would ask me the question, having no idea that I was doing Girls or that we were friends or anything, and I just found myself biting my tongue, rolling my eyes again and again: Oh, Lena and I are brave because we don’t fit some idea of quote-unquote beauty in this era in this country. And it’s kind of, yeah, offensive. I mean, I’m not offended myself; I’m offended when I hear people say it about Lena. Because I think Lena’s gorgeous and I don’t think people are saying the same thing when Jessica Alba or whoever strips down, because she conforms to what we decided is beautiful — and that’s the implication for me in saying that Lena’s brave or that I’m brave because I don’t have any plucked this or skinny that or I don’t know what.

Lighter subject: Veronica Mars. What’s your role?
It’s a new character, she wasn’t on the show. She is a suspect. I play an obsessed fan of the murder victim, a pop singer. And I’m a little unstable and whacky. So I’m not evil. But I’m nuts.

The important question: Do you show your pubic hair in the movie?
I am absolutely naked in every scene of the movie. No, I’m just kidding. I don’t show my pubic hair in the movie, but funnily enough, there was this line in the script that I open my legs, I’m wearing a miniskirt, and I expose my underwear and crotch to one of the characters. So I actually waxed my bikini line for that, because I determined that this character would not have pubic hair. But I know for certain that you don’t see anything and it was a total waste of a wax and I fucked up my pubic hair for it. I’ll tell ya, I don’t get it. I don’t know how people do this waxing thing. Now I just have all these bumpy ingrown hairs.

It’s still not okay?
I mean, I could really get into this: I was like, “This is hideous! How do people do this? It’s red and bumpy and now it’s growing in.” And somebody was like, “You just wax it again. Your skin has to get used to it, wax it again.” I just wanted it to grow back but it was so ugly, so I tried to wax it again. It’s finally back to its normal state and it’s fine, but I honestly don’t know how women manage this. Maybe it looks okay for a day, but otherwise, it’s growing back in or red and bumpy. What’s the point? It’s a mystery to me.

You have read this article with the title Gaby Hoffmann On Waxing For Veronica Mars. You can bookmark this page URL http://duk78.blogspot.com/2014/01/gaby-hoffmann-on-waxing-for-veronica.html. Thanks!